Saturday, July 2, 2011

DIY Nursery Curtains- Part 1

No matter how hard I tried I could not find curtains in the colors and patterns that I wanted. Our house had very large and high windows so curtains are hard to find in the length that we need and if we do find them they cost a FORTUNE. So, I decided that I would make my own.

I went to a bunch of different fabric stores and finally found what I wanted/needed at Fabric Farms. My plan was so make curtains with straps to hang them and a cornice board that would hide the top of them. Well the salesperson at Fabric Farms showed me a DIY grommet set that I just couldnt resist so I decided to give it a try.

The fabric was not straight on the bolt and I realized this once I got home and was starting the project. Thank god for my mother-in-law because she spent a whole day indulging my crazy and helping me cut the fabric just right! We had to lay the fabric out on the floor and match the light blocking backing to it (I want that room dark for naps!) and then cut and tape them to the wood floor.

I then went around the edges and folded in the seams and pinned them all. I then sewed the seams on my sewing machine and brought the curtains back to the floor! It was time to pin on the grommet tape to the top of the curtains. So I pinned that on.

Then it was back to the sewing machine!
The bottom edges had to remain unsown so that they could hang with the lining and not wrinkle or trap air. So I had to angle the corners and stitch them down so that they looked clean.
After all of that (which, trust me, took 16 hours for the 2 panels) my husband attached the front of the grommets to the grommet take and it was time to hang them the next day!!!!!

Here is how they turned out:

We absolutely LOVED how the grommet tape and grommets turned out. Truth be told I didnt really need to make a cornice because these grommets looked so nice but I had already bought the fabric so part 2 of this project is coming!!!!

4 comments:

  1. The curtains are adorable! The nursery is turning out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them (as you already know)! I'm obsessed with grommet tops so I wish those were visible.
    You're such the betty homemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.  Kids curtains

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really informative knowledge, Thanks for posting this informative Information. Day Night Roller Blinds

    ReplyDelete